Nikiti or Nikitas one of Sithonias most significant areas
In the area of have been found a sufficient amount of positions where there were settlements during prehistoric years. From then continued its life either in small settlements or either smaller or larger villages.
During the classical years the most significant culture in the area was Galipsos. Galipsos was the evolution of one important settlement. It seems that to its residents were added a lot of Halkidis settlers during the 8th and 7th century b. C. During the medicos wars they had to undergo compulsory recruiting. In the continuation it became a member of the Athenian alliance. In 432 it broke away from the alliance and one part of the population shifted to Olyntho. For its ending we don’t know anything, from the archeological findings though results that the town was alive till the roman years. It seems one of the main reasons for its fading was the creation of a new settlement very close to Galipso, namely in the area of Ag. Georgiou. There began to appear in the Hellenistic years a new settlement, which very quickly developed and was the most significant in the area till the 6th century a. C. That is when the settlement that was in the area Elia must have been destroyed.
From the 6th century a. C. till the end of the 13th century there is no information for the area. In 1300 the largest part of Nikiti belonged to various monasteries of Ag. Oros (Ksenofontos, Lavras, Ksiropotamou), but there was also an independent village, Psalida, from which is saved only the totally ruined tower. This village must have been destroyed by the Katalanous around 1308.
In the beginning of the 14th century began the creation of Nikitis present settlement. To begin with it was a small settlement of the cultivators of the monastery which belonged to the monastery of Ksenofontos. With the passing of time the residents grew and by the 15th century it must have already been an independent village.